Pinole California Museums
It's time to leave the Bay Area behind, and the capital is worth a visit for rail fans, but one or two stops remain on the way to Sacramento. Elvas Tower may be closed and gone, the former South Pacific store may have disappeared, but it is still one of the most popular stops in the city and still worth a visit.
On the hill are three famous Pinole houses, which historian George Vincent calls one of the best examples of modern architecture in the state of California. In 1823, San Francisco's first mayor, Don El Paso Jr. was granted 17,000 acres (69 km2), including Pinoles Creek, by his son-in-law, John F. Kennedy. The land grant was originally known as the Rancho de los Pinos (Rancho of San Juan Capistrano), but was later renamed Rancho El Pinote.
The Pinole Redevelopment Agency eventually acquired the Faria Ranch property under certain conditions and moved to a new home in 2005 on the grounds of the old El Pinote Ranch, which is now a museum.
While several photos of the site have been tarnished by the highway's expansion, the west side is made up of grassy hills that turn into a beautiful green in the winter and spring months, and most of the photos feature Christie Collier as a siding. Covering an area of 231 hectares, this park offers a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, picnicking, cycling, fishing, camping, hiking and much more.
If you venture into the state, you can see the remains of the old San Francisco - San Diego Railway Station. This branch was built in the 1880s by narrow gauge railway Carson, Colorado, and abandoned by SP in 1985. The attraction for rail fans is the action in downtown Embarcadero West, which stretches along the north and south sides of Santa Monica Boulevard from the San Fernando Valley to the Pacific Ocean.
The acquisition of the first enabled PNWR to climb the steep and winding Rex Hill. From Pinole, it is easy to continue the journey to Sacramento by getting back on I-80 and heading east to Crockett and Vallejo. Follow the coast and hike along the coast of San Pablo Bay to Bayfront Park in Pinoles, CA.
The Pinole Historical Society (pinolehistoricalsociety.org) offers self-guided walks starting at the Greenfield department store (circa 1905). The Sacramento Southern Railroad Museum offers a tour of a 0 - 6 - 0 turnout built in 1920 and a weekend tour from April to September.
With more than 30 Amtrak trains a day, including a daily service from Sacramento to Los Angeles and San Francisco, finding a train can be a problem. Weekdays are a good time to catch local cars interacting with Cal P, especially in the late afternoon, as schedules vary. Especially the afternoon is a better time to catch the westbound fleet of trains at Franklin Canyon, while the morning hours can count at least 3 to 4 trains. Wye connects with the Sacramento Southern Railroad Museum and the Pinole Historical Society (pinolehistoricalsociety.org). New SD70ACS (evolutionary series) that frequently appear in the series, as well as aging units such as 2nd and 3rd class and some older units.
The Heritage II (new swoosh version) dominates the canyon's motif power, while the red and silver Dash 9s and SD75Ms are also frequently seen. Normally the picture is rounded off by models like this, but GP30s, GP35 and some GP40 have been rebuilt.
The Elvas Tower, which closed in 2000, guarded the intersection of the UP Fresno and Martinez subdivisions and provided direct access to the San Joaquin Valley's most popular tourist attractions. The modern transport centre was opened in September 2001 and at least two of them are operating as functioning railways. SD9 locomotives can be found in both the museum and the tourist section, but all have steam generators and stand for Amtrak trains running to the station and Fresno, California's main train station.
On the outside of the building there is a mural showing what used to be shops and restaurants when this section of the street was in the early 20th century. The square has benefited from a renaissance in recent years as the redevelopment efforts have brought a number of new restaurants, shops, hotels and other businesses to the area. There are a few remnants of what the shop and restaurant on the north side of this street was when it was, but not much more than that.
There are several maps of Lompoc, including copies showing early industry, as well as a map of the area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The site is home to one of the oldest known diesel locomotives in the United States, which the museum acquired from a private individual. The lower watershed features a number of historic sites, including the Lompoc Fire Station and the Santa Barbara County Courthouse.